Minimum size of RCC column as per IS 456, hi guys in this article, I will discuss the minimum standards that can be followed for the design of RCC structural components of a structure, such as columns, beams, slab and foundation. We will also discuss the minimum safe standards for the reinforcing bars that are to be used for the design of the above mentioned Structural Components.
A reinforced concrete column is a structural member designed to carry compressive loads, composed of concrete with an embedded steel frame to provide reinforcement. For design purposes, the columns are separated into two categories: short columns and slender columns.
You should also visits:-
Minimum size of RCC column:– It is recommended to use M20 grade concrete for rcc construction, as it is the minimum recommended grade of concrete is IS 456:2000. Please don’t skimp on the quality of concrete. The minimum size of rcc column is 9″ x 9″, contain steel reinforcement of 4 bars of 12mm with stirrups of 8mm steel rings at a distance of 150mm centre to centre.
The Standards for RCC Column as per IS 456 : 2000 are following:-
1) The percentage of steel should be minimum of 0.8% of Gross area of the section and maximum of 6% of Gross area, but the maximum area can be restricted to 4% of Gross area so as to avoid conjustion of reinforcement while concreting.
2) Minimum number of bars for rectangular column is 4 and Minimum bars for circular column is 6.
3) Minimum Diameter of the longitudinal reinforcement is 12mm.
4) Minimum diameter of lateral reinforcement is lesser of 6mm or one-fourth the diameter of Main reinforcement bars.
5) Minimum clear cover should be 40mm.
6) The minimum size of rcc column as per IS 456 : 2000 is 9″ x 9″, contain steel reinforcement of 4 bars of 12mm with stirrups of 8mm steel rings at a distance of 150mm centre to centre.
Minimum cross-sectional dimension for a Column: is 9”x 9” (225MM x 225MM). But to avoid slenderness problems, I recommend a rectangular column design of 9″x 12″ (225 MM x 300 MM) which is safer.
I always recommended to use use M20 grade concrete for construction, as it is the minimum recommended grade of concrete is IS 456:2000. Please don’t skimp on the quality of concrete. The minimum steel in a 9″ x 9″ column is 4 bars of 12 MM with stirrups of 8 MM steel rings at a distance of 150 MM centre to centre. In a 9″ x 12″ column, I add two more bars, to take the total to 6 bars of 12 MM diameter. This design can be safe for up to G+1 floors. But there are a lot of other factors involved.