AAC blocks VS red Brick, hi guys in this article we know about difference between AAC Block and red brick and also know about comparison of their different properties like compressive strength, cost, manufacturing, mortar cost, labour cost, size,weight, handling, workability, joint, density and uses.
Full form of ACC block is Autoclaved aerated concrete. It is a lightweight, precast, foam concrete building material suitable for producing concrete masonry unit (CMU) like blocks. It is composed of quartz sand, calcined gypsum, lime, cement, water and aluminum powder.
◆ WATCH THIS VIDEO: AAC BLOCK
Autoclaved Aerated Concrete is an eco- friendly and certified green building material which is lightweight, load-bearing, high- insulating.
Meaning of AAC block is its products are cured under heat and pressure in an autoclave and there is presence of air in the mixture of ACC block and hard bearing good compressive strength like concrete that why it name is AAC block ( autoclaved aerated concrete).
Bricks have multiple shape and size and they can vary according to location and countries so we have brick size is not constant through out the world. There are several way of categorise brick types according to their nature ,dimension ,properties ,water absorbent and etc.
Brick have history of using from ancient time, when civilization is start to developed in ancient time. ancient people try to develop their life in forest near the bank of river for food clothes and shelter. First start who made air dried brick for making of shelter.
When industrial civilization is developed first time in England they start to make fired brick for making house. And we know that today brick is building material to form brick masonry wall ,different types of pavement and different types of retaining wall and other elements in building construction and civil engineering.
In ancient time brick refer to a unit composed of clay but it is now used to denote a rectangular units made of clay bearing soil, sand lime or concrete material.
brick can be joined together by using cement mortar made of mix of sand cement and water, in ancient time when cement was not discovered people used lime mortar and clay mortar of soil for as binding and Adhesive material.
Let us now discuss about AAC blocks VS red Brick difference between AC Block and red brick and their different properties and try to conclude which one is better to use AAC blocks or red bricks. Now first discuss different properties of AAC Block
● AAC Block different properties:- 1) AAC Block Autoclaved aerated concrete.
2) it is lightweight,precast, foam concrete building material suitable for concrete masonry unit.
3) it is eco friendly in nature not producing pollution in environment and it is certified green building material.
4) it is load bearing in nature having high compressive strength 5N/mm2
5) it is also fireproof insaluting building material having a resistance of about 4 an hour against fire.
6) actually it is aerated concrete have more air voids, due to presence of air void in between that’s why it is lightweight and easy for handling even it has high volume.
7) there are different size of AAC Block are available in market, but there are four common size are 600mm × 200mm × 100mm,600mm × 200mm × 150mm,600mm × 200mm × 200mm and 600mm × 200mm × 225mm.
8) water absorbing capacity of AAC Block are about 10% of their weight
9) there are three class of AAC Block, dry density of first class AAC blocks are 651 – 750 kg/m3, 2nd class dry density is 751 – 850 Kg/m3 and 3rd class dry density is 851 – 1000 Kg/m3. And wet density of 1st class is about 700 -800 Kg/m3.
10) It is composed of quartz sand, calcined gypsum, lime, cement, water and aluminum powder.
11) AAC blocks provide greater insulation against sound out loud noises and providing good insulation.
12) AAC Block are light weight and durable and can withstand extreme earthquake condition.
13) AAC blocks are easier to use in the construction process and save time as well as money for contractor and owner like. Due to presence of air in mixture AAC blocks and light, yet strong due to the process through which they are created.
14) AAC blocks made in uniformly and can be cut and shaped according to required in construction. it provide greater insulation against heat since they do are not good conductor of heat. The technology used in creating AAC blocks ensure that is blocks are resistant to fire.
● Properties of first class red brick:– 1)
Red bricks are made of clay soil table moulded and burnt in kilns or high rise chimney
2) it is burnt in Chimney are of deep red ,Cherry or copper colour
3) its surface should be a smooth rectangular with parallel side sharp and straight edge with square corner
4) it should be free from cracks and stone
5) it has uniform texture
6) water absorption capacity is about 15 to 17% of its dry weight when immersed in water for 24 hour is allowed
7) it has metallic ringing sound come when to bricks are a struck against each other
8) there is no impression should be left on the brick when scratched is made by our fingernail
9) red bricks have compressive strength is 3.5N/mm2.
Let us now discuss about AAC blocks VS red Brick difference between AC Block and red brick and their different properties and try to conclude which one is better to use AAC blocks or red bricks.
AAC blocks VS red Bricks
AAC blocks vs red bricks are compared:- AAC Block is made up of Fly ash, Gypsum, Cement, Lime, and Water. This is 8 times bigger than normal brick and lighter than red clay brick. Low energy required in production, low raw material consumption and recyclables of AAC Block work make it environment-friendly.
Now try to understand which one is better to use AAC Block or red brick? and what is main difference between AAC Block and red brick,let us conclude AAC blocks VS red Brick.
● 1) Size :- there are four common size of AAC blocks are 600mm × 200mm × 100mm,600mm × 200mm × 150mm,600mm × 200mm × 200mm and 600mm × 200mm × 225mm. Some other sizes are also available, and unit volume of AAC Block are calculated as = 0.6×0.2×0.1 = 0.012m3.
The common size of Indian red brick are available in two sizes 190mm × 90mm ×90mm and 230mm×115mm×75mm, some other size of red brick are also available and unit volume of red brick are calculated as = 0.19×0.09×0.09 = 0.001539 m3.
So number of red brick in 1 AAC block = 0.012/0.001539 = 8 bricks, so there is 8 number of bricks come in 1AAC Block size.
So in size and volume comparison of red brick and AAC Block, size and volume of 1 unit of AAC Block are higher than red brick. So in masonry work 100 square feet block wall require about 50 number block but in case of brick masonry require about 450 number of brick in 100 square feet brick wall.
2) composition :- AAC block is composed of quartz sand, calcined gypsum, lime, cement, water and aluminum powder.
But red bricks are made of clay soil table moulded and burnt in kilns or high rise chimney, it is burnt in Chimney are of deep red ,Cherry or copper colour.
3) Density :- we know that AAC Block and red brick both have water absorbing capacity, so there density are calculated in both case dry density and wet density.
Dry density of 1st class AAC block is 651 – 750 kg/m3, 2nd class dry density is 751 – 850 Kg/m3 and 3rd class dry density is 851 – 1000 Kg/m3.
Dry density of 1st class red brick is 1600 – 1700 Kg/m3, for 2nd class 1721 – 1820 kg/m3 and for 3rd class red brick 1821 – 1920 kg/m3.
Wet density of 1st class is about 700 -800 Kg/m3 and for red brick it is about 1900 – 2000 Kg/m3
So conclusion is that AAC Block are lighter than red brick.
4) Weight :- volume of 1 acc block = 0.012m3 and their density is about 650 kg/m3 in dry condition, so weight = 0.012 × 650 = 7.8 kg and volume of 1 red brick = 0.001539 and their density = 1650 Kg/m3, then weight of red brick = 0.001539 × 1650 = 2.5 kg.
So according to number weight of AAC Block is higher than red brick but when comprising size 8 number of red brick come in 1 AAC Block size and weight is thrise of red brick. So comparison to size AAC Block are lighter than red brick.
5) compressive strength :- compressive strength of AAC Block are about 5N/mm2 and compressive strength of red brick is 3.5N/mm2. So compressive strength of AAC Block are higher than red brick
6) Uses :- generally AAC Block are used in multi storey building construction due to lighter weight and load bearing structure.
But red brick are used in all type of wall construction for multi storey building and low rise building, it is also load bearing structure.
7) eco friendly nature:- AAC block is eco friendly in nature not producing pollution in environment and it is certified green building material.
But red bricks are made of clay soil table moulded and burnt in kilns or high rise chimney, it is burnt in Chimney are of deep red ,Cherry or copper colour, soap producing pollution in environment that’s why red bricks are not eco friendly in nature.
8) fire resistance :- AAC Block have about four an hour resistance against fire but red brick have about 2 an hour fire resistance, so use of AAC Block in building construction make it more fireproof and more insulating prevent from noise, sound and heat.
9) Workability :- use of AAC Block require less number of Labour, mason and consuming less quantity of cement mortar for joint that’s why its installation cost is decrease, but in case of red brick require more number of labour and Mason and consuming about 3 bag of cement in hundred square feet brick wall formation so there installation cost is increasing.
Actually price of AAC Block higher than red brick so over all installation cost of AAC Block and red brick is about similar. But workability in case of AAC Block is much easier then red brick.
AAC blocks are easier to use in the construction process and save time as well as money for contractor and owner like. Due to presence of air in mixture AAC blocks and light, yet strong due to the process through which they are created.
10) earthquake resistance:- AAC Block are light weight and durable and can withstand extreme earthquake condition.
But red brick are heavy so it is less resistance against earthquake.
You should also visits:-