How to calculate cubic yards of concrete | how much concrete do you need.
Cubic yard is one of the most popular, oldest, non- standard unit based on imperial/ US customary measurement system used for measurement of volume of material which is widely used in United States, Canada and some Imperial states in United kongdom, do not very popular in European country and it is uncommon in Asian countries like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, majority of the countries of world follows their SI standard unit for measuring the volume of material in cubic metre and litre.
Premix concrete is blended mix of Portland cement sand gravel and water with approved ingredient used for casting of different structure such as slab, patio, beam, column, foundation, retaining wall, ramp, sidewalk and etc. Basically concrete quantity in United States, Canada and in Imperial states, United Kingdom measured in cubic yards. So in this article we know about how to calculate cubic yards of concrete.
A cubic yard means volume of concrete that cover 3 feet long by 3 feet wide by 3 feet high, it is an Imperial / U.S. customary unit of volume, very much popular and mostly used in the United States and canada.
A cubic yard is defined as the volume of a cube with sides of 1 yard in length or 3 feet, 36 inches, 0.9144 meters. Generally a cubic yard look like heaped of material that spreading to cover 3 feet long by 3 feet wide by 3 feet depth.
Cubic yard formula
The formula for number of cubic yard = length (in feet) × width (in feet) × depth (in feet) ÷ 27, simply multiply the all three dimension length, width and their depth together to find the number of cubic feet, then divide by 27 to find the number of cubic yard.
● Volume in cu ft = length × width × height
● Formula for volume in cubic yard = length (in feet) × wide (in feet) × height (in feet) ÷ 27
Generally dimension of concrete slab measured in cubic feet, you need to convert cubic feet into cubic yard, you can easily calculate cubic yardage by converting all three dimensions of your material into yard and then you multiply.
How to calculate cubic yards of concrete
To calculate cubic yards of concrete, first multiply the length & width (in feet) of concrete slab to get square footage, then square footage multiply with their depth in feet to get cubic feet, then resulting cubic feet is divided by 27 to get volume of concrete slab in cubic yards.
● square footage = length × width (in feet)
● inches depth in feet = depth/12
● volume of concrete slab in cubic feet = square footage × depth in feet
● volume of concrete slab in cubic yards = volume in cubic feet ÷27 = number of cubic yards. This is your required quantity of concrete in cubic yards.
Suppose you have a standard concrete Patio of dimension 10 feet in length by 10 feet in width by 4 inches depth, then how to calculate cubic yards of concrete and how much concrete do you need for casting.
To calculate cubic yards of concrete for 10×10 slab at 4″ thick, you should follow the following solution steps:-
● square footage = 10×10 = 100 sq ft
● 4″ depth in feet = 4/12 = 0.33 feet
● volume of concrete slab in cubic feet = 100 sq ft × 0.33 feet = 33 cubic feet
● volume of concrete slab in cubic yards = 33÷27 = 1.22 cubic yards. This is your required quantity of concrete in cubic yards.