What is difference between column and Strut,hi guys in this article we know about what is difference between column and Strut .as we know that both column member and Strut are the comprehensive member and the structure can be building, bridges, Power Pylon, cell base station Tower or any component of a structure.
For every civil engineering and mechanical engineering main issue is buckling in the designing of compression member like column and Strut.
What is column?
1) it is the main structural member design to take axial load that is gravity load ,bending moment ,shear forces and buckling and horizontal load like earthquake load and wind load.
2) columns are short thicker a structure member which are subject to compressive force bending moment and shear force
3) structure of column may be four types 1) Column those both end are hinged and their effective length of column is defined as distance between two point of zero moment so effective length of column is length of column
2) Column those both end are fixed and these are strongest column and had maximum load carrying capacity and their effective length is half of length of column.
3) column those one end is fixed and other end is hinged ,these type column is stronger in fixed end and weaker in hinged end.
4) column those one end is fixed and second end is free are weak column design
4) the word column is used for compressive member of frame and column always tend to buckle about their weak Axis,weak axis is the axis about which moment of inertia and radius of gyration are minimum.
5) in the case of column ratio of effective length of column and diameter of Steel bar is greater than 3.
You should also visits:-
What is strut?
strut is also structure member subjected to compressive only ,bending moment is zero in this member ,the word Strut is used for comprehensive member of trusses. If strut is spanning between two gusset plate only then it is called a discontinuous strut if it is spanning more than two gusset plate then it is called as continuous strut.
What is difference between column and Strut
1) both column and Strut is comprehensive member but main difference between two is column is comprehensive member of frame structure and strut is comprehensive member of truss structure.
2) effective length of both comprehensive structure column and Strut is distance between two point. Ratio of effective length to diameter is greater than 3 in the case of column design and ratio of effective length to diameter is smaller than 3 in the case of strut design.
3) various types of forces acting on both structure member but major difference is that column is subject to axial load, bending moment and shear forces ,buckling forces and horizontal load like earthquake load and wind load.but strut is subject to only axial force that is compressive force.
4) gravity load along the downward direction is also acting on compressive structure but major difference is that gravity loading is only applied in column and strut is not subjected to any gravity loading.
5) both comprehensive member column and Strut is subjected to applied load, load are applied anywhere throughout the column but in the case of strut load are always applied at the joint on trusses.
● Conclusion:- strut is mainly used in roof trusses and steel bridge. the main purpose of strut is to maintain the rigidity of the structure and to take compressive force and do not designed to take any gravity load but column is designed to various type of load acting on it such like axial load bending moment gravity load shear forces buckling and horizontal load like earthquake load and wind load.