What is different types of pile foundation and their uses, hi guys in this article we know about what is different types of pile foundation and their uses what is pile Foundation. As we know that pile Foundation is kind of deep Foundation provided in those Areas where soil bearing capacity is low and high rise of groundwater.
There are several types of pile foundations, each suited to different soil and construction conditions. Some common types include:
1. Driven Piles: These are pushed, vibrated, or hammered into the ground. They are suitable for various soil types and can carry heavy loads.
2. Bored Piles (Drilled Shafts): These are created by drilling a hole into the ground and then filling it with concrete. They are effective in hard or rocky soils.
3. Screw Piles (Helical Piles): These have helical blades on the shaft and are screwed into the ground. They are useful in areas with a high water table or where minimal noise and vibration are required.
4. Micro Piles: Small-diameter piles used in situations where larger piles may not be feasible. They are commonly used in limited-access areas.
5. Pile Rafts: This involves groups of piles connected by a rigid slab, distributing the load over a larger area. It’s suitable for weak or compressible soils.
6. Sheet Piles: These are interlocking steel sheets driven into the ground to form a continuous barrier. They are commonly used for retaining walls and waterfront structures.
If there is heavily and non uniform load structure is present its recommended the use of pile Foundation.
What is pile Foundation and their definition
Pile Foundation is kind of deep Foundation which transfer the load coming from superstructure of building dam bridges safely to the bed of soil. It is provided in those Areas where soil bearing capacity is too low, to find adequate soil bearing capacity it is provided more deeper in soil where adequate amount of soil bearing capacity is present.
Pile foundation depth is greater than 3 times of its width. The Pile Foundation is made of concrete material, steel, wood and other combination of concrete and steel that is composite material. And pile Foundation is used to support and transfer load at desired depth by end bearing pile or skin friction pile.
What is different types of pile foundation and their uses
You should also visits:-
Pile Foundation can be classified based on the materials function and installation process etc and following are the types of pile foundation used in construction
A) Pile Foundation categorise according to function and use
1) Sheet pile
2) load bearing piles
3) end bearing piles
4) skin friction piles
B) Based on materials and construction method pile foundation is categorise into
1) concrete piles
2) Steel piles
3) composite piles
4) timber piles
1) sheet pile foundation :– sheet piles mostly used to provide lateral supports from the soil. And usually they resist lateral pressure from loose soil ,the flow of water and it is presence of dams, trench ,protection of retaining wall and formation bridges.and they are not used for providing vertical support to the structure they are usually used to serve the following purpose.
Uses of sheet piles Foundation
1)Construction of retaining wall
2) sheet pile used for protection from river bank erosion
3) pile Foundation retain the loose soil around Foundation trenches
4) pile Foundation is helping in isolation of foundation from adjacent soil
5) sheet pile foundation help for confinement of soil and thus increased the bearing capacity of soil
2) Load bearing piles:- this type of pile Foundation is mainly used to transfer the vertical load from the Super structure safely to the bed of soil. Load bearing piles broadly classified into following categories according to their function
1) End bearing pile :- in this type of end bearing pile the load passes through the bottom end of the pile. the bottom end of pile rest on strong layer of soil and the rock. in the pile placed at transition layer of weak and strong layer the pile act as column and transfer the load to the strong layer the total capacity of end bearing pile can be calculated by multiplying the area of the tip of pile and the bearing capacity of that particular depth of soil at which the pile raised.
2) skin friction pile :- friction file transfer the load from the structure of the soil by the frictional force between the surface of pile and the soil surrounding the pile. clay soil and sandy soil friction can be developed for the entire length of pile depending on the state of soil in friction pile generally the entire surface of pile was to transfer the load from the structure to the soil.
Based on materials and construction method pile foundation is categorise into concrete pile, Steel pile, composite pile and Timber pile. The pile foundation is made of concrete that is known as concrete pile and the pile Foundation is made of steel that is known as steel pile and pile Foundation is made of both concrete and steel that is known as composite pile and the pile Foundation that is made of wood that is known as Timber pile.