What is pile foundation its types and uses,When to use pile Foundation,hi guys in this article we know about what is pile Foundation its types and uses and why we use pile Foundation. As we know that Foundation is supportive substructure which safely transfer the load coming from superstructure to the bed of soil.
Foundation have two types Shallow foundation and deep Foundation. When width of foundation is more than of depth of foundation then it is Shallow Foundation. And when width of foundation is less than depth of foundation then it is known as deep Foundation. Pile Foundation is kind of foundation having depth is greater than 3 times of its width. Shallow Foundation is provided in those Areas where soil bearing capacity is high and pile Foundation is provided in those Areas where soil bearing capacity is low.
What is pile Foundation ?
Pile Foundation is kind of deep Foundation which transfer the load coming from superstructure safely to the bed of soil.
It is provided in those Areas where soil bearing capacity is low, to find adequate soil bearing capacity it is provided more deeper in soil. Pile Foundation depth is greater than 3 times of its width. Pile Foundation is made of concrete, steel, wood and other combination of concrete and steel that is composite material. And pile Foundation is used to support and transfer load at desired depth by end bearing or skin friction.
You should also visits:-
why we use pile Foundation
Pile Foundation is provided supportive substructure more deeper to ground due to following reason
1) pile Foundation is provided in those areas in which ground water table is high and top soil have low bearing capacity
2) pile Foundation is provided in those type of building or apartment which have heavy and non-uninform Load of superstructure
3) pile Foundation is provided in those Areas where there is chance of scouring errosion of soil due to Water flow ,bank of river, sea shore, retaining wall ,dam bridges and etc
4) pile Foundation is provided where when there is Canal or deep drainage system near the structure
5) pile Foundation is found in those structure where other type of foundation is not feasible
When we use pile Foundation
Shallow Foundation are usually used when the bearing capacity of top surface soil is adequate required to carry the load imposed by super structure of building on other hand deep Foundation are usually used when the bearing capacity of top surface soil is not sufficient to carry the load imposed by Super structure.
So the load have to be transferred to a deeper level where the soil layer has higher load bearing capacity. And pile Foundation are usually used for large a structure and its situation when the soil is not resist excessive settlement of a structure.
Pile Foundation construction depends on following elements
1) total load coming from Super structure like slab beam and column and brick wall
2) water level
3) soil condition
4) presence of noise and vibration sensitivity
5) available resources, time frame of project and their cost
Bearing capacity of soil in pile Foundation
In pile Foundation Substructure made of concrete, steel, composite material and sometime Timber is provided deeper inside the soil upto depth of finding hard soil material or rock which have adequate amount of soil bearing capacity. in this case bottom end concrete fibre of pile foundation racist on hard soil and all the vertical load coming from Super structure transfer from bottom end concrete fibre of pile safely to the hard soil or rock that is known as end bearing pile.
On other hand if the pile Foundation is supported by surrounding lateral side of soil like sandy soil or clay soil. in this case vertical load coming from the Super structure inside the pile safely transfer to the lateral side of surrounding soil which have adequate amount of soil bearing capacity that is known as skin friction pile.