What are plastering thickness as per IS code? Hi guys in this article we know about plastering thickness for brick wall as per IS code and also know about thickness of plaster for internal wall, concrete wall, roof, ceiling and external wall.
Plastering is thin layer of cement mortar adhesive material put over the brick wall for protection from environment ,smooth surface, good finishing, good looking & increasing the strength of brick wall.
◆ WATCH THIS VIDEO
We know that external part of brick wall is more prone to sever climatic condition, its needs more protection from outer side, plastering make it strong and damp proof and prevent from seepage of water in brick wall.
Plastering is the term used to describe the cement mortar material spread over the both face plane and rough surface of irregular and coarse textured brick wall,beam, roof,column, concrete wall and ceiling to make it stronge, more durable,provide a smooth, hard and leveled finish surface which can be painted for good appearance.
In actual Plastering process is an art, truly recognized for constructing the base. It refers to the construction done with cement plaster which includes a layer of plaster on an interior wall or plaster decorative moldings done on ceilings or walls. The process of creating plasterwork is known as Plastering.
Plastering is a unique skill to plaster the brickwall, leveling it and achieve a good and even finishing. Plasterboard is to form the sub-base for ceilings, partition walls. An adequate and rigid frame made up of timber battens is needed for it.
Fix runner boards made from spare lengths to harden the ceiling side by side. It will provide ease of access in the roof void and will be supporting for electrical cables.
According to a adhesive material there are four types of plastering :- 1) Lime plaster,2) cement plaster,3) clay plaster & 4) gypsum plaster
1) Lime plaster:- plaster in which lime is used as Adhesive or binding material for mortar
2) cement plaster:– plaster in which cement is used as Adhesive or binding material for mortar
3) clay plaster:- plaster in which clay is used as adhesive or binding material for mortar
4) gypsum plaster :– plaster in which gypsum material is used as adhesive or binding material for mortar.
According to type of wall, plastering is following types 1) external wall plastering, 2) internal wall plastering, 3) concrete wall plastering & 4) roof for ceiling plastering.
1) plastering of outer face or rough face of brickwork and concrete walls is known as external wall plastering.
2) plastering of inner face or plane face of brickwork and concrete walls is known as inner wall plastering.
3) plastering of concrete structure like column and beam is known as concrete wall plastering
4) plastering of bottom face of roof or ceiling is known as roof or ceiling plastering
Plastering thickness as per IS code
IS code for plastering:- IS code for plastering is 2402: 1963, recommended thickness of cement plaster in PWD, CPWD & all private work in building construction in india are different for different types of plastering.
Thickness of plaster:- thickness of plaster is ranging between 6mm to 25mm, their thickness depends on types of plastering. 15mm thick single coat and 18mm (10+8),20mm (12+8) & 25mm (15+10) thick double coat are recommended thickness of external wall plaster. 10mm,12mm and 15mm thick single coat are recommended thickness of internal wall plaster. 6mm, 10mm and 12mm thick single coat are recommended thickness of concrete wall plaster & 6mm thick single coat are recommended thickness of ceiling plaster.
External wall plastering thickness
Recommended external plastering thickness is ranging between 15 mm to 25mm. It will be 15mm, 18mm, 20mm and 25 mm. 15mm is single coat for external plastering and 18mm 20mm and 25mm is double coat for external plastering.
In 18 mm thick plastering first single coat it should be provide with 12 mm thickness and after this second coat is provide with 6mm thickness (12mm + 6mm).
In 20 mm thick external plastering, first single coat it should be provide 12 mm thickness and after this second coat is provide with 8mm thickness (12mm + 8mm).
In 25 mm thick external plastering, first single coat it should be provide 15 mm thickness and after this second coat is provide with 10mm thickness (15mm + 10mm).
● Ans. :- 15mm thick single coat and 18mm,20mm & 25mm thick double coat are recommended thickness of external wall plastering as per IS code.
internal wall plastering thickness
Internal brick wall is plane face of wall,it needs more smoothness and decorative. Internal wall plastering thickness is single coat of 10 mm,12mm & 15 mm are used in construction.
concrete wall plastering thickness
Concrete wall is made of load bearing structure beam and column. recommended concrete wall plastering thickness is 6mm,10 mm & 12 mm are used in building construction in civil engineering.
roof or ceiling plastering thickness
Bottom face of roof slab is known as ceiling made of concrete,it require very thin layer of plaster material for increasing its smoothness, recommended thickness of ceiling plaster is single coat of 6mm thick.
● conclusion :- external plaster recommended thickness of cement plaster is 6 mm (for ceiling and concrete plastering), 12 mm (for internal wall plastering and plane surface of brickwork) & 15 mm or 20 mm (for external wall plastering and rough surface of brickwork) are used in building construction.
● 6 mm thick cement plaster are used for ceiling and concrete plastering
● 12 mm thick cement plaster are used for internal wall plastering and plane surface of brick wall
● 15 mm or 20 mm theek cement plaster used for external wall plastering and rough surface of brick wall
The recommended thickness of cement plastering
Recommended thickness of plastering for brick walls is 12 mm, 15 mm or 20 mm.
● 12 mm thick cement plaster is done where the plain face of brick masonry is plastered.
● 15 mm cement plaster is required on the rough side of 13.5″, 9” and 4.5” brick wall.
● 20 mm thick cement plaster is done in two coats in some cases on rough side of brick wall or according to the design requirement.
● 18 mm thick cement plaster with neat cement slurry is required for making ‘Dado’ with the cement concrete flooring.
● Recommended thickness of plastering for RCC surface is 6 mm and 10 mm.
● 6 mm thick cement plaster is done on the RCC surface where it is required.
● 10 mm thick cement plaster is done underside of the RCC ceiling/ roof
You should also visits:-